Saturday, February 11, 2012

Top 5 Reasons to visit the Motown WinterBlast

First of all, I want to put the disclaimer out there....I DO NOT like winter, but I love the Motown WinterBlast! We had such a great time this year.  I have to say Detroit did a GREAT job making the snow  and then Mother Nature stepped in and took it up a notch.  There is so much to do at the  8th Annual Motown Winter Blast, and it is very inexpensive!  Here are my top 5 reasons to visit Detroit's Motown Winter Blast:

5. The Entertainment

One of the biggest reasons we hit up the WinterBlast on Friday night was the band Persuasion.  I had a friend book them to play their wedding, and they absolutely LOVED them.  So when I noticed they were playing the Winter Blast, I figured that would be another good reason to go Friday night.  Here is a clip of the band that rocked the Michigan Lottery Tent.




4. Dog Sledding

I am a HUGE animal lover.  So when I heard there was gonna be dog sledding I wanted to see it!  The puppies were so cute, I couldn't believe how small they were but they seemed to be enjoying every minute of it.  Between runs the musher explained how the dogs are able to carry weight and last during extreme temperatures.  Here are some pictures of these sweet pups doing what they do best!





3. Good Eats

There were so many great restaurants represented at the Winter Blast this year.  Quicken Loans presented the Taste of Detroit down at the Winter Blast this year.  There was something to hit everyone's taste buds.  I took a few pictures of some of my favorites:)  We had the infamous corn dogs too!(no festival is complete without carnival food:)  Some of the restaurants included: Detroit Seafood Market, Hudson Cafe,  and Red Smoke BBQ.  Here are some pics from the Hudson Cafe.  They had some DELICIOUS treats, and they were quite friendly to the camera too!




Don't forget to check out Hudson cafe!

Awesome French Toast:)

2. Family Fun

I don't have kids, but I can tell you this is a great place to be if you do.  There is so much for them to do, from ice skating to roasting marshmallows.  You can have hours of fun here at the Winter Blast just walking around absorbing the city and the fun things to do here.  Kids were running around laughing trying to catch snowflakes with their tongues.  Luckily, Friday night there were plenty of flakes to go around!  Here are a few pictures we took while looking at the ice sculptures.


Look!! I'm an Eskimo!



We are in our Ice Castle!




1. Cheap Day/Night Out

The admission is only $1 per person OR a canned food item or children's book, which is donated to the Matrix Human Services.  Many of the activities are FREE, that's right you read that correctly FREE!  You can watch the live entertainment, dog sledding, ice sculptures, and skate for FREE during the Winter Blast.  My husband and I only spent $20 between the both of us.  We bought some goodies at the Taste of Detroit tent and a great Frog hat for me.  All and all, a great night had by all and a cheap date night:) 



I met "Gator" from 97.1.  No one believed me that it was him!

Our cool new hats from WinterBlast!

WinterBlast is one of the festivals in the year that Detroit has to offer.  Each festival has their own unique flavor and brings the city together to enjoy the atmosphere and culture of Detroit.  What are some of your favorite Detroit festivals? I would love to hear about it!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Marybeth -
    Looks like a blast! I have to say I only went to the Winterblast when Detroit hosted the Superbowl and it was a ton of fun. I guess I have not been back though because I am like you and do not like the cold temps! I think they have heating stations though?

    I would have to say that my favorite festivity downtown is Tigers Opening Day. I have been going for at least the past eight years. The city is packed and everyone is friendly and having a great time supporting the best baseball team! I hope this year will be a little bit warmer than last year, but if not we always the best of it!

    ReplyDelete