Friday, February 24, 2012

Have you ever went to bed hungry?

Fortunately, I have never had to go without food, but I can't say the same for many Detroiters.  This is where Gleaners Community Food Bank steps in. For more than 35 years, Gleaners has been feeding communities of hungry people.  They have distributed over 40 MILLION pounds of emergency food across Wayne, Macomb, Oakland, Livingston, and Monroe counties. Because this is such a wonderful cause, I decided to feature one of their upcoming events in this week's FRUGAL FRIDAY blog.


On Saturday, February 25th, Pewabic Pottery is hosting  an "Empty Bowls" event. This event allows members of the community to come on out and purchase handmade bowls donated by local students and artists.  After purchasing the bowl, attendees are invited to stay and eat complementary bread and soup.  The bread is donated by Bona-Venture, LLC and the soups are from Russell Street Deli, Vivio's Food & Spirits, and other local establishments.

I have had the opportunity to host Food Drives in the past, as well as, actually go on down the Gleaners to pack and sort food for the poor and homeless.  This can be very rewarding and humbling at the same time.  Sometimes are lives are going so fast that we forget to see the struggles around us.  Many people are losing their houses, going hungry, have no heat, yet they still have a smile on their face.  Its volunteering at places like this that really puts a new perspective on life.  What are some things that have happened to you, to really hit home?  Have you ever had that 'A-ha' moment where you realized, life just isn't that bad?  I would live to hear your thoughts! I would also love to hear if anyone has ever volunteered here or any other great organizations that help our neighbors!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marybeth,
    This is a great post and let me first say thank you for taking time to write about and promote such a great cause. I have done work for Gleaners and other charities in the area. I have done turkey baskets and helped throughout the year for a local charity, and your right, it does open your eyes a little. This is something that we should all do, if we all helped a little it would change the world. Many hands make light work, this is something my grandma used to tell me when I was a kid and I try to help when I can.

    ReplyDelete