Monday, January 30, 2012

How's that New Years Resolution?

New Year's Eve has always been a time for looking back at the past, and more importantly, forward to the upcoming year.  It's a time to reflect on the changes we want (or need) to  make and resolve in the following year.  I would have to say one of the biggest resolutions I hear people make would be to lose weight or live a healthier lifestyle.  This seems like a simple enough task, but with everyone's fast paced life food usually isn't on our minds until HUNGER strikes!

With that said, for this week's FRUGAL FRIDAY (yes, I know I'm late...I had a lot going on this weekend) I picked an outing that will allow you to enjoy the city of Detroit and keep that New Year's resolution.  "Come Hungry, Leave Happy & Healthy" tour is a tour that is offered by the Feet on the Street tours.  This is a tour of the Eastern Market.


This tour company has been doing Eastern Market tours for over 10 years and is still a fan favorite!  For $25 you get a two-hour strolling and tasting tour.  You will get to learn all about the unique Michigan products sold at Eastern Market, fun facts and history about the area, and TASTE the food sold at the Eastern Market.  Also, you will actually meet local farmers who grow the products.  Along with all of this, you will get healthy tips on improving health and cooking lighter all while BUYING local products.  (I always feel it's important to support local vendors when you can)



Now, I know this is more than $20, but I thought this is such a great way to get out and experience Eastern Market and Detroit.  Especially, if you are not familiar with shopping down here.  It can be an overwhelming experience.  By doing this tour, you can experience Market first hand and become a pro!  Not to mention, the produce and meat will probably taste 1000 times better than anything you buy at Kroger or Meijer.



So go and check out the Eastern Market, there is so much to do down there.  Personally, I love having lunch at Vivio's (great food and great drinks!).  I would love to hear what are some of your favorite things are about the Eastern Market.  Have you ever been there or participated in any of their activities, i.e. Flower Day, tailgating, etc...??

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! I had no idea that you could get a tour of Eastern Market. I have never been there before so I think having a tour to hit some of the high points would be very beneficial! Thanks for the info. I look forward to your post next week for some more great ideas! I love the D!
    KT Schultz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was little and my grandpa took me to Eastern Market for the first time. I liked looking at all the flowers, fruits, and vegetables, but the thing that groused me out was the skinned rabbits hanging above on of the seller's areas.

    ReplyDelete