Friday, January 20, 2012

FRUGAL FRIDAYS!!!


I don’t know about you, but I am always looking for fun things to do on the cheap!  So welcome to Frugal Fridays!! Every Friday, I’m gonna look for new and exciting things to do in Detroit where you can enjoy yourself and spend less than $20!  That’s right, a whole night out and spend $20 or less.  I mean you can go rent movies and almost walk out spending $20.  And forget about spending only $20 at the movies, I’m convinced that can’t be done. 

So I don’t know about you, but during the winter months I am usually FREEZING!  Sometimes, I feel like I can never get warm……..so I found the best way to heat up your night and for less than $20.

We start our night off at Long-Sharp Curis Modern & Contemporary Fine Art Museum for an OPENING NIGHT exhibition.  This is a free exhibit and it features the work of William John Kennedy.  The exhibition starts at 7:30PM, with a meet & greet with the Artist himself from 8-9PM.



After all of the fancy smanzy artwork, step next door to Vicente’s Cuban Cuisine.  If you have never been here before, you are in for a treat!  (They have great plantains, I’m just sayin’) Now the menu here can be a little pricey.  Items usually range from $15-$30.  I would select the Ropa Vieja.  This dish is a Cuban tradition.  It is thinly shredded beef, seasoned with red wine, tomato sauce and bell peppers.  It will definitely “heat” you up but not break your pocket book; it comes in at $18.95. 



Havin’ fun yet? Well I hope you don’t eat too much because we still have more “hot” stuff to keep us warm during the cold winter nights in the D.  On Friday and Saturday nights, Vicente’s offers Salsa dancing until 2AM.  Would you expect anything less than Salsa dancing from a Cuban restaurant?




Where has the time gone, it’s 2AM and you are not as young as you used to be.  You have just had an awesome night out in the D and only spent $20!  Now, I know you may end up spending more if you want a drink here and there, but all in all it is definitely POSSIBLE to have a great night out in the D and not go broke!

 Hmmmmmmmmm........I wonder what do to do next week??


Long-Sharp/Curis
1260 Library St.
Detroit, MI 48226

Vicente’s Cuban Cuisine
1250 Library St.
Detroit, MI 48226

6 comments:

  1. Walking around Detroit in the snow is definitely
    Awesome!!! It's the best time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dante, I'm thinking of reviewing people's right before the superbowl...what do ya think??

      Delete
  2. I Love your Blog MB!
    Great Job. You get an A from me. I enjoyed reading all of the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a well-put-together night out without going broke in the process! I'm looking forward to more of your suggestions. There are a lot of hidden treasures left to discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love trying new things down in the D!

      Delete